- This event has passed.
Fun with Food Science: Dairy Discovery Days
July 10, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
An event every day that begins at 10:00 am, repeating until July 10, 2020
This summer, K-State’s Olathe campus is offering a free, week-long, virtual summer camp designed to support STEM-based knowledge in a fun and safe environment. The content is designed for students entering sixth grade and leaving eighth grade.
Fun with Food Science: Dairy Discovery Days | July 13-17
Do you like to cook (and eat)? This camp is for the junior scientist who wants to know the how and why of food. Throughout a week, campers will conduct cool experiments and take virtual tours with professional chefs and our K-State experts.
All experiments can be conducted with ingredients and kitchen equipment you probably already have on hand. Just in case, a list of ingredients will be supplied a week before the camp.
This is a free camp.
Time and Location
10-11:30 a.m. July 13-17 via Zoom.
- Monday — Overview of the dairy industry, working in basic food safety, nutrition concepts and some career insights.
- Tuesday — How cheese is made — from the chemistry, process, forms of coagulation, safety and quality.
- Wednesday — Virtual field trip to a larger bovine dairy, food safety, possibly Kansas regulatory presence, and some career insights.
- Thursday — All about ice cream. Some further processed products, food safety and some career insights also will be covered.
- Friday — Show us your product. Participants will show the cheese or ice cream product they made and we’ll chat about it as a group.
*Please note that some activities may change.